Blitz Organizer / Block Captain Responsibilities
Brightside St. Louis and Blitz Organizer Responsibilities
Please review the enclosed information carefully and call Brightside St. Louis at 772-4646 with any questions.
Recruit, Educate, and Organize Residents on Your Block
- Recruit neighbors to clean up and sweep alleys, streets, and public areas around your block.
- Select a date for your clean-up. Coordinate with your neighbors to determine the best date to conduct your clean-up. If you anticipate generating bulk items during your clean-up, it's best to schedule your clean-up on the weekend before your regularly scheduled bulk pick-up.
- Educate your neighbors and volunteers about bulk items, yard waste, trash disposal and recycling collection. Encourage your neighbors to undertake special projects such as the clean-up of vacant lots, alleys or public areas. This is a good time to estimate the amount of tools that will be needed for your clean-up.
- Organize volunteers and set up a group meeting place and time for your Blitz clean-up.
Request Bags, Tools and Flowers
- Brightside St. Louis will provide trash bags for each block being cleaned up. Use these bags as you and your volunteers clean up.
- If your block needs to borrow tools, Block Captains and Blitz Organizers may request tools by completing the Blitz Project Registration Form. This form must be completed in full and returned to Brightside St. Louis at least one week prior to your Blitz clean-up.
- Blitz Organizers may pick up bags and tools from Brightside's office located at 4646 Shenandoah Ave. between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. All tools must be returned to Brightside's office on the Monday following your clean-up.
- A picture I.D. is required to pick up tools. Individuals borrowing tools will be charged a minimum $30.00 for each tool not returned.
- Roll-off containers may be requested for community projects that anticipate a large amount of yard waste or trash. The container will be placed at the designated location on the Friday before a group's scheduled clean-up and will be collected the following Monday. Blitz Organizers must make sure that trash and yard waste are not commingled in the roll off and that no one dumps illegally into the roll-off container. Roll-off containers must be requested at least two weeks in advance of the clean-up day.
- Flowers will be available in May for planting on public property. To request flowers you must have a Blitz clean-up project registered with Brightside. Request flowers online or print and email/mail/fax the form to Brightside.
All flowers must be planted with permission in public areas.