Compton Hill Reservoir Park
The water tower, built as superstructure for Stand Pipe No. 3 in 1899 after a Romanesque design by George Mann, is a South Saint Louis landmark. This brick shaft with its stone base quickly became a favorite spot from which to view the City, but is now closed to the public. During the 1930's, the reservoir was covered with a concrete roof upon which tennis courts were placed in use until World War II. Balustrades and two large fountain basins on either side were added the following year and the massive head by Architects Roth and Study was designed in the west retaining wall.