The Cabanne House was the first brick farmhouse west of the Mississippi River. Jean Pierre Cabanne built the house on the site that is Forest Park in 1819.
The current Cabanne House is situated in a wooded site near the Union Avenue entrance to Forest Park. Constructed in 1875 from plans drawn by St. Louis architect James H. McNamara, the Second Empire style house was conceived as part of the original Master Plan for Forest Park. The Cabanne House was completed in June 1876, in time for the formal dedication of Forest Park.
The house was used as a residence for park superintendents and commissioners for many years. Its rooms have 14 foot ceilings, tall windows, and decorative marble mantels. The mansard roof is a hallmark of mid-Victorian architecture of the period following the Civil War.
In 2006 Cabanne House was the Saint Louis Symphony Volunteer Association's Showcase House. Numerous designers and contractors renovated the Cabanne House bringing new life to this gem in Forest Park. The total value of the renovation exceeded $600,000.
The Cabanne House is available for rental Sunday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 Midnight. It is available for catered events only. All food and drinks (including alcoholic beverages) must come from one of the authorized caterers.
This breathtaking venue is ideal for baby showers, birthday parties, corporate meetings, and weddings. Maximum capacity for a seated event inside the Cabanne House is 50. Maximum capacity for a cocktail reception inside the house is 100.
Rental fees for use of the Cabanne House Sunday through Saturday are as follows:
Event Inside the House (Catered or non-Catered event)
4 Hour Time Slot (12:00 noon - 4:00 p.m.) $350.00
6 Hour Time Slot (10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.) $500.00
Wedding Ceremonies Inside/Outside House
4 Hour Time Slot (12:00 noon - 4:00 p.m.) $500.00*
6 Hour Time Slot (10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.) $700.00*
*Includes use of the Bride's Room inside the house and the 20' x 40' tent outside of the house. Equipment (chairs, sound system, etc.) must be rented from a private source for all ceremonies held outside.
Event Inside/Outside the House (Catered Events)
6 Hour Time Slot (6:00 p.m. - 12:00 midnight) $1,000.00**
** Includes use of the 20' x 40' tent outside of the house. All other equipment (chairs, sound system, etc.) must be rented from a private source.
In addition to the rental fee, a $500.00 security deposit is required. The security deposit is due 60 days after the contract is signed or 6 months before the event (whichever comes first). Deposit will be forfeited in the event of damage to park property, missing or damaged park equipment, failure to leave the Cabanne House in a clean condition, and/or failure to comply with the rules and conditions stated in the contract.
An insurance certificate of property damage in the amount of $50,000 and personal liability insurance in the amount of not less than $100,000 for injury to one person and not less than $300,000 to two or more persons in each accident is required and must be received at least 6 months prior to the event. The following wording must appear on the certificate or it will not be acceptable: “The City of St. Louis and its employees and agents are additional insured's."
Please note: The authorized caterers have a security deposit and insurance on file with the Park Department. In most cases, the caterer will let you use their security deposit and insurance so you don’t have provide same.
Parking is limited to the main drive to the Cabanne House. Cars may be parked at a 45 degree angle when the grounds are not water-soaked. Additional parking on the streets inside the park is also available. Limousines, 12-15 passenger shuttle vehicles and horse drawn carriages are permitted to park in this designated area.
Bridal parties using the Cabanne House for both their ceremony & reception have access to the Bride’s Room upstairs overlooking the park grounds.
To check availability of the Cabanne House, please contact Ora in the Park Department Permit Section at 289-5330.
RULES & REGULATIONS:
1) No rice, bird seed or confetti is to be thrown inside or outside of the Cabanne House. Bubbles may be used outside.
2) Arrangements for music/entertainment are the responsibility of the rental party. The Cabanne House does not provide music/entertainment.
3) No smoking is allowed inside the Cabanne House. Sand ash bins are placed outside the main entrance to the Cabanne House.
4) All refuse generated must be placed in appropriate trash receptacles and removed from the house at the end of the event. Cleanup is required immediately following the event. The House should be left in the condition in which it was found.
5) Questions regarding setup should be directed to one of the authorized caterers.
6) The use of nails, screws, tape, tacks or the like to fasten decorations or other materials to walls, doors or from the ceiling is prohibited.
7) Full payment of the rental fee is due when the contract is signed. Reservations can be made over the phone and the rental party will be given five (5) business days to come to our office, sign the contract, and pay the rental fee. Payment is made to the City of St. Louis and must be in the form of a check or money order. Credit cards and cash are not accepted. There is a $25.00 fee for all checks that are not honored by the bank.
8) Storage of any equipment or other items belonging to the rental party is not permitted. The City of St. Louis is not responsible for damage to or loss of any merchandise or articles left in the facility prior to, during or following the event. Furthermore, the City of St. Louis is not responsible for the theft of articles from cars parked within the park. The rental party is responsible for the security of the event.
9) Candles are allowed if the flames are enclosed in a glass rose bowl, hurricane lamp or the like.
10) The rental party agrees to be responsible for the supervision of the event, the conduct of all persons present, damages which may result to the City’s property and/or equipment, and for the observance of the rules and regulations governing the use of city owned or operated parks.
11) Rental party assumes all risk of inclement weather.
12) Reservations are not transferable and may be revoked or changed at the time at the discretion of the Director of Parks, Recreation and Forestry.
13) The rental party agrees to hold the City of St. Louis and its officers and employees harmless from any injury to property or persons that occur during this event. The Rental party will protect and defend the city and its officers and employees from any and all causes of action on claims that arise from the permitted event.