Welcome to the home page for the Department of Public Safety, the largest municipal government department in the City of St. Louis with more than 1,600 employees. The Divisions of the Department of Public Safety are:
- Building Division
- City Emergency Management Agency
- Corrections Division, which includes the City Justice Center and Medium Security Institution
- Excise Division (liquor control office)
- Fire Department, which includes the Bureau of Emergency Medical Services
- Neighborhood Stabilization Team, which includes Citizens' Service Bureau
- Office of Special Events
The mission of the Department is to use its resources to safeguard the people who live, work, do business and visit the city. The staff of the various divisions are hardworking and committed to improving their level of performance as well as developing policy and procedures that are transparent, understandable and streamlined. Together, we strive to be the premier municipal public safety department.
The Department of Public Safety is responsible for:
- Code enforcement in the development of new construction and substantial rehabilitation)
- preventing use of unsafe buildings (monitoring unsafe buildings to prevent usage)
- emergency management planning (and execution)
- fire prevention and suppression (fire education and suppression)
- emergency medical services
- land use zoning
- issuing permits for residential and commercial construction, business occupancy, the sale and distribution of alcoholic beverages
- management of correctional facilities (and inmates)
- neighborhood safety, enrichment programs and citizen services (work order and complaint reporting system)
- special events planning.
For your convenience in connecting with the various Divisions, please follow the appropriate link on the navigation menu at left. We look forward to serving you!
What's New in DPS
St. Louis Fire Department personnel bid a fond farewell to Fire Inspector Joe Simon at his retirement party on Jan. 25, 2013, and extended many thanks to him for his years of service. (Photo by William Greenblatt)
Sign up for Nixle
- Click the green "Sign Up" button toward the top of the screen.
- Fill out the form and click on the "I Accept. Sign me up!" button.
- Choose what kind of alerts you would like to receive by e-mail and/or by text message.
You may also simply text STLCEMA to 888777 from your cell phone in order to receive emergency alert text messages to your cell phone.
Alarm Registration & False Alarm Management - call 1-888-579-2727 ext. 103
Nuisance Property Letters -- call the attorney listed at the end of the letter you received
St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department - (314) 444-5555
Missouri Department of Motor Vehicles - City Hall Office - (314) 622-4231
Phone: (314) 622-3391
8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
1200 Market , Room 401, City Hall
St. Louis, Missouri 63103